The term “face lift” has many meanings and choosing the best options for facial rejuvenation is a complicated and confusing process. An experienced board certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Dennis Bucko can explain and demonstrate all the options available to patients seeking facial rejuvenation.
Here, Dr. Bucko of Belladerma Cosmetic Surgery and Skin Care Center discusses how to keep expectations realistic when opting for facelift surgery.
Do Facelifts Last Forever?
The short answer is, “no.” While “facelift” addresses the signs of aging that are troubling you at the time of surgery, a facelift is not able to prevent subsequent aging. Generally speaking, you should be able to enjoy the outcome of your cosmetic surgery for 7-10 years before worrying about pursuing additional cosmetic treatment. However, this is largely dependent on your lifestyle choices and the luck of the draw of having good genes. Depending on how you age, though, you may find it unnecessary to have a full facelift in the years following the first one. You may only need to turn to touch-up procedures down the line, such as a mini-lift or blepharoplasty (also known as eyelid lift) or peels, injections or laser treatments.
How Do I Make My Facelift Results Last?
While it is impossible to predict how you will age, there are a number of things you can do to increase your chances of attaining facelift surgery results that last:
- Research your doctor – do your research, be sure you choose a board-certified and experienced plastic surgeon such as Dr. Bucko. Schedule a consultation at Belladerma Cosmetic Surgery and Skin Care Center, make a list of your questions, ask to see before and after photos of patients who had a similar procedure. Make sure you feel comfortable with your choice. Your doctor should offer you choices and options, so you can choose which procedures are most likely to achieve your goals.
- Stay fit – the best way to prevent unwanted skin sag is to stay fit and avoid rapid weight fluctuations. As your skin ages, it loses elasticity and does not bounce back as quickly. If you lose a lot of weight after surgery your face will relax.
- Wear sunscreen – the sun is your biggest enemy when it comes to aging of the skin, so wear a daily moisturizer that contains an SPF of 30 or above.
- Live a healthy lifestyle – frequent tobacco and alcohol consumption can age a person prematurely and wreak havoc on their skin. If you must indulge, do so in moderation.
- Use appropriate skin care products – our Belladerma aesthetician can advise you.
Best Way to Beat the Clock
While a facelift can’t magically turn you into a 29 year-old for the rest of your life, it will help you achieve a more youthful appearance for quite some time. On top of cosmetic surgery, the best way to look and feel young is to maintain a lifestyle with adequate rest, a healthy diet, plenty of exercise and good skin care.
Dr. Dennis Bucko can help you determine what cosmetic surgery options are best for you. Call Belladerma Cosmetic Surgery and Skin Care Center at (858) 453-8484 to schedule a consultation.